Product code: #6305-N$600.00 Excl. Sales Tax
On board tankers carrying oil, chemicals or gas the crew must have special competences to minimize the risk the cargo represents to the ship, the crew and the environment. Therefore it is a requirement that officers and ratings assigned to specific duties and responsibilities related to cargo or cargo equipment complete a basic training course for oil, gas, and chemical tanker operations.
This course provides an introduction to oil and chemical tankers and imparts the basic knowledge needed to serve as a member of the crew on this type of vessel and undertake specific duties relating to cargo and cargo equipment. The course is designed to prepare learners for the advanced course in oil and chemical tanker operations (available from Videotel) and to meet the specialised training requirements for personnel on certain types of ship under Chapter V of the STCW Convention and Code 1978, as amended by the 2010 Manila amendments.
On completion of this course you will receive a Documentary Evidence from Ocean Technologies Group, powered by Videotel and Seagull.
Please note: The assessment part of this course must be completed onboard ship or onshore in the offices of a registered shipping company or maritime institution. The Master/senior officer onboard or a senior official onshore must sign and stamp your application form to verify they have directly supervised your eLearning assessment(s). Please refer to the 'approvals' section below for further information.
What you'll learn
Contribute to the safe cargo operations of oil and chemical tankers
Take precautions to prevent hazards.
Apply occupational health and safety precautions and measures.
Respond to emergencies.
Take precautions to prevent pollution of the environment from the release of liquefied gases.
The course includes the following components.
- Module #476.01 Basic Oil and Chemical Tanker, Introduction
- Module #476.02 Basic Oil and Chemical Tanker, The Physics and Chemistry of Oil and Chemical Cargoes
- Module #476.03 Basic Oil and Chemical Tanker, Hazards and their Management
- Module #476.04 Basic Oil and Chemical Tanker, Ship Design and Equipment
- Module #476.05 Basic Oil and Chemical Tanker, Oil and Chemical Tanker Operations
- Module #476.06 Basic Oil and Chemical Tanker, Inert Gas Systems
- Module #476.07 Basic Oil and Chemical Tanker, Safety and Pollution Prevention
- Module #476.08 Basic Oil and Chemical Tanker, Emergency Procedures
- Module #472.01 Tanker Fire Fighting, Response and Organization
- Module #472.02 Tanker Fire Fighting, Handling and Transportation Hazards
- Module #472.03 Tanker Fire Fighting, Agents and Equipment
- Module #476.09 Basic Oil and Chemical Tanker, Assessment
- Workbook - Basic Oil and Chemical Tanker (to be completed offline)
For a full list of course pre-requisites by Flag, please refer to the Documentation Checklist.
You may follow this flowchart to see which Flag approved certificate you can apply for.
- Regulation V/1-1 and Section A-V/1-1 of the STCW Convention and Code (2010)
- IMO Model Course 1.01, 2014 Edition
- MNTB Tanker Training Courses Criteria, 2nd Edition
Maritime and Coastguard Agency, Norwegian Maritime Authority, Marshall Islands, Liberia Ship Registry.
For MCA or NMA certification, this course must be completed onboard ship.
For Liberia certification, this course may be completed onboard ship or onshore.
This course may be accepted by other maritime administrations. Please contact us for details.
Available In Languages