Product code: #6375$400.00 Excl. Sales Tax
There is a growing quantity of increasingly demanding environmental legislation relevant to shipping. All ships' officers and crew must comply with these requirements and need to be aware of environmental issues. To address this need, some companies are appointing Environmental Officers on board. This course is aimed at those individuals and also officers whose tasks include environmental compliance.
On completion of this course you will receive a Certificate of Completion from Ocean Technologies Group, powered by Marlins, Seagull and Videotel.
Please note: The assessment part of this course must be completed onboard ship or onshore in the offices of a registered shipping company or maritime institution. The Master/senior officer onboard or a senior official onshore must sign and stamp your application form to verify they have directly supervised your eLearning assessment(s). For Flag approved courses, please refer to the 'approvals' section below for further information.
What you'll learn
Be aware of the environmental problems facing the world and understand how global warming and climate change threaten our very survival
Be familiar with how shipping contributes to world pollution, how that can be minimised, and the role individual seafarers can play in creating a cleaner planet
Be familiar with the legal framework for protecting the environment greed by the International Maritime Organization (IMO)
These include MARPOL and other conventions and controls applied to the world's maritime fleet
Understand the consequences of not complying and the real risk of heavy fines and imprisonment
The course includes the following components.
- Module #647.01 Environmental Officer, Introduction
- Module #647.02 Environmental Officer, The Role of the Environmental Officer
- Module #647.03 Environmental Officer, The MARPOL Requirements
- Module #647.04 Environmental Officer, Further Legal Requirements
- Module #647.05 Environmental Officer, Compliance with Legislation
- Module #647.06 Environmental Officer, Company Environmental Policy
- Module #647.07 Environmental Officer, Implementation of Environmental Policy
- Module #647.08 Environmental Officer, Organising the Environmental Systems on Board
- Module #647.09 Environmental Officer, The Job of Environmental Officer
- Module #647.10 Environmental Officer, Handling Environmental Incidents
- Module #647.11 Environmental Officer, Assessment
There are no pre-requisites for this course
The Environmental Officer Training Course has been developed in accordance with:
- MARPOL Annex I – VI
- Ballast Water Management Convention
- Conventional for the Safe and Environmentally Sound Recycling of Ships
- Vessel General Permit
This course may be accepted as evidence of compliance where training for the role of Environmental Officer is required, for example: The ISM Code, TMSA3, VIQ7, STCW Table A – II/2, III/2, Section A – III/3 etc
The Nautical Institute
Available In Languages